|St. Augustine Lighthouse|
St. Augustine, FL 32082
The Spanish built the first watchtower to guard the valuable but dangerous waters around St. Augustine in the late 1500's. By 1824 Florida had an official lighthouse and today the St. Augustine light beams 1000 watts of light through its original (1874) Fresnel lens in fixed 30 second flashes throughout the night. The light is maintained by the US Coast Guard.
The Lighthouse Keepers House and Museum is an imposing brick structure where the lighthouse keepers lived before the light was automated. Renovated with funds raised by the efforts of the Junior Service League, the building and the artifacts within it tell the history of lighthouse keeping throughout the years. Gifts, books and videos about lighthouses in general and about the St. Augustine Light are available.